Russian salad is a potato based salad and it’s a very popular salad in Spain during summer time because of its exquisite taste and range of colour it provides to a dinner table.
This tasty salad is made with easy to find ingredients such as red peppers, olives, canned tuna and mayonnaise. It’s super easy and quick to put together and you can combine it with any meal you like.
This is not only a very tasty salad but it’s also very filling and a great salad to serve at barbecues. It can also be ideal to have on its own during the summer for a refreshing and filling meal. Enjoy!
Prep time: 15 min
Cooking time: 20 min
- 1 red bell pepper, halved, seeded and core removed
- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 tablespoons of frozen peas
- 3 eggs
- 2 tablespoons of small capers
- 1 small can or 50g of pitted Manzanilla olives, halved
- 1 can of bonito tuna or white tuna in olive oil, drained
- sea salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon of chopped parsley
- 150g of mayonnaise
- Preheat the oven to 180° C.
- Place the red bell pepper halves skin side up on a baking tray. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt. Bake in the oven for 45 – 60 minutes, or until the skin blackens. Remove from the oven and cover the tray with a kitchen cloth, or cling film, for 10 minutes. Peel the blackened skin from the peppers and cut in strips.
- Bring some salted water to the boil in a pot. Add the potatoes and carrots and reduce the heat to a simmer. Cook for 15 minutes and then add the peas. Cook for a further 5 minutes. Drain the vegetables into a sieve and cool under running cold water. Set aside.
- Bring some more water to the boil in the pot and cook the eggs for 5 minutes. Drain and add cold water to the pot to cool the eggs. Peel the eggs and remove the yolks. Set aside the yolks and finely chop the egg whites.
- Add the potatoes, carrots, peas, chopped egg whites, capers, olives and tuna to a large bowl. Season with sea salt and add the parsley and mayonnaise. Mix all the ingredients together and spoon into a nice serving dish.
- Slice the egg yolks and scatter over. Artfully garnish with strips of bell pepper and drizzle with extra virgin olive oil.
If you want to get more tasty summer salads, check out my book on Amazon clicking the button below.